TEHRAN (Tasnim) - The US forces admitted that they had killed at least 30 pine nut farmers in Afghan province of Nangarhar during a drone strike on Thursday.
- World news -
At least 40 others were injured in the attack in Wazir Tangi area of Khogyani district that was previously attributed to the West-backed Afghan government, Al-Jazeera reported.
A spokesman for US forces in Afghanistan confirmed on Thursday that the drone attack was conducted by the US with the intention of destroying a hideout used by the fighters of the Daesh (ISIL or ISIS) terrorist group.
'Initial indications are members of Daesh were among those targeted in the strike,' Colonel Sonny Leggett, spokesman for the American-led coalition in Afghanistan said.
'However, we are working with local officials to determine whether there was collateral damage.'
Sohrab Qaderi, a provincial council member in Nangarhar said on Thursday that the drone attack killed 30 workers in a pine nut field and at least 40 others were injured.
The defence ministry in Kabul confirmed the raid, but refused to share casualty details immediately.
Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar confirmed the air raid.
'The government is investigating the incident. So far nine bodies are collected from the attack site near a pine nut field,' he said.
Malik Rahat Gul, a tribal elder in Wazir Tangi, said the air raid happened at a time when tired workers, mainly daily wage earners, had gathered near their tent after harvesting pine nuts in a field nearby.
'The workers had lit a bonfire and were sitting together when a drone targeted them,' said Gul.
Earlier this month, four brothers were killed in a raid by the CIA-trained and funded 02 Unit of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) spy agency.