At least 19 people have been killed and 62 wounded in a suicide attack in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar, the governor's office has told RFE/RL.
Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar, said the death toll could increase as some of the wounded were in serious condition
Some media reports said the death toll in the September 11 attack reached 30, and provincial council member Sohrab Qaderi said at least 45 dead and wounded had been taken to local hospitals.
Tolo TV said on its website, citing the health department in Nangarhar, that 30 people had been killed while Reuters quoted officials as saying that at least 25 people were killed.
Local officials said the attack targeted a gathering to protest against a local police commander and that hundreds of people were present when a suicide attacker detonated explosives.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which came hours after a double bombing in front of a girls school in Jalalabad killed a boy and wounded four other people.
Jalalabad has been in recent months the scene of multiple suicide bombings and attacks that have killed dozens of people.
Both the Taliban and the extremist group Islamic State are active in the area.
With reporting by Reuters, AP and AFP RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan
RFE/RL's Radio Azadi is the leading media outlet in Afghanistan today, reaching more than 60 percent of the Afghan population across the country with its radio and Internet programs.
firstname.lastname@example.org Subscribe via RSS
Copyright (c) 2018. RFE/RL, Inc. Republished with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste 400, Washington DC 20036